Reach Us +32 466902153


Knowledge and Practice of Immediate New Born Care (Inc.) among Health Professionals in Governmental Health Facilities of Bahir Dar City, North Ethiopia 2016

Background: Newborn is considered to be tiny and powerless, completely dependent on other for life; within one minute of birth the normal new born adapts from a dependent fatal existence to an independent one; capable of breathing and carrying on life process. The first hours are crucial because multiple organ system is making the transition from intrauterine to extra uterine functions. The care given immediately after birth is simple but important.

Objective: The aim of this study was to assess Knowledge and practice of immediate newborn care among health professionals in governmental health facilities of Bahir-Dar city from November to June, 2016.

Methods: An institutional based cross-sectional quantitative descriptive study design was used for this study. The total Sample size required was 141 Health professionals. Study subject were selected using non probability convenience methods. The data was collected through self-administered questionnaire, and check lists. The collected data was coded and data was exported to SPSS version 20.0. Finally, result was presented in texts, graphs and tables.

Results: Among the total participants (134), 56% have general good knowledge on immediate new-born care and 13.4% have poor knowledge. Regarding immediate new-born care practice 59.7% health professional practiced Immediate new-born care properly but the remaining 40.3% of respondents did not practiced. Out of the study participants 131 (97.8%) of health professionals had given vit k to immediately born baby.

Conclusion and recommendation: Most respondents have inadequate knowledge and practice on immediate newborn care. So it is better to strengthen in-service training to health professionals and conduct further study.


Yayehyirad Yemaneh, Eden Dagnachew

Abstract | Full-Text | PDF

Share this  Facebook  Twitter  LinkedIn  Google+
30+ Million Readerbase
Flyer image
Abstracted/Indexed in
  • Genamics JournalSeek
  • JournalTOCs
  • China National Knowledge Infrastructure (CNKI)
  • CiteFactor
  • CINAHL Complete
  • Social care institute for Excellence(SCIE)
  • Scimago
  • Ulrich's Periodicals Directory
  • Electronic Journals Library
  • Directory of Research Journal Indexing (DRJI)
  • WorldCat
  • Proquest Summons
  • MIAR
  • ResearchGate
  • University Grants Commission
  • Secret Search Engine Labs